Making a resin table with CD’s

• This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated 5 years ago by Katherine Swift.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

Hi Katherine, it seems like your the wonder woman of resin and I couldnt find any reference of people covering CD mosaics with resin so I thought Id ask the resin guru 🙂 Im covering a flat table with cut up cds and want a hard protective coating that is clear enough for the cds to catch the light in the same way. I tried just a spray varnish but this compromised the shine. The resin also needs to not interfere with the shiny coating as I have learnt grout can (this is my second attempt at this project, I only got up to the grout last time). I think I have narrowed it down to Enviro-tex lite pour on or easy clear cast epoxy but havent ruled out Hiflex EasyFlow 60 Polyurethane Liquid Plastic Casting Resin. So… 1) Which, if any would you recommend for a beginner and an under 1cm deep covering and 2) how would you recommend I go about making a mould around the edges to keep the resin in while it dries? (I read the above where you mentioned a doming resin however I have been unable to find any at a reasonable price) and 3) should I use grout with this or would none be better? I dont mind either look so its whatever will work best. 🙂 thank you in advance!

Katherine Swift

First, I suggest casting a few small pieces with the cut up CDs in resin.  It has been my experience that the resin also diminishes the iridescent shine as well.

I wouldn’t recommend a polyurethane resin for a beginner.  They cure quickly and generally don’t allow enough time for someone new to resin (mixing, getting out bubbles, etc.) to get it used before it begins to cure. Instead the Resin Obsession artwork resin. 
      https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-artwork-resin  It cures crystal clear and is designed for surfaces.  It is also a doming resin, so if you are careful, it shouldn’t run off the sides of your table.  As a precaution, however, you can run masking tape around the edges of your table to keep the resin on the surface.  Once the resin has cured, peel away the tape.

I wouldn’t grout the CDs.  I would make sure the background is the way you want it and simply glue the CD pieces to the surface before pouring.

Good luck!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Making a resin table with CD’s’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube