Messed up mold making process, used resin instead by accident!!! Help!!!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Jonathan Record

I was trying to make a mold for an arm of a resin cast figure. I’m familiar with making molds before, but this time I really messed it up.

Instead of pouring the silicone mold liquid, I confused myself and poured in RESIN instead into the box with the arm in it…

It got about half way through only, fortunately (not all the way to the top). I didn’t realize the mistake I made until the resin started to cure and became solidified.

Now, I have half of the arm piece stuck inside this white cured block with the other half sticking out.

What can I do to dissolve this block completely and take out the arm piece? The resin won’t peel off or anything, it’s hardened and I’m freaking out.

Please let me know…

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Jonathan,

I’m afraid I don’t have any good news for you. There is no way to dissolve the resin you poured. If it is still in the soft cure stage, you can try peeling it away from the arm. Otherwise, if it has fully cured, it is stuck. 🙁

Jonathan Record

Well, I’ve read online people using heat guns or something to soften it? There’s gotta be a way, half of the arm is just stuck in there is all.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

You can try a heat gun, but generally, that only works if the resin is still in the soft cure stage. At this point, you have nothing to lose….

Jonathan Record

what about acetone?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Acetone is good for cleaning up wet resin. I have seen some people use it to soak resin out of a metal bezel, but it can etch the bezel. It may etch your arm as well.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Messed up mold making process, used resin instead by accident!!! Help!!!’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube