Molding guitar neck piece

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Duraid

Hello,

I have an electric guitar (a good one) with a broken neck. The luthier asked for almost its original price for the fix so I’m looking for ways to fix it myself.

The neck is broken near the top and it’s not a clean break. There are pieces of wood missing from the sides at the broken place.

I was thinking of molding a piece of wood (or other material) that would fit exactly the cavity and then glue the 3 pieces together. Is this doable? I know nothing about casting/molding and wood material and I’m hoping that someone here would point me to the right direction.

The guitar neck has to be durable because of the tension of the strings.

Thanks

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Duraid,

If I were to try this, I would use two-part epoxy clay. It is two part resin, but in clay form. You have about an hour to work with it after blending before it starts to cure. You may even want to find a good potter or ceramics artist in your area that can help you mold the piece to ‘exactly’ match your guitar using pottery tools. Once it is cured, you can paint it to match your guitar. I don’t know how it will hold up to the tension of the strings, but I think it’s worth a try.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Molding guitar neck piece’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube