Need advice for a project

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      david

Hi.

I fitted an oval bath into a square room and now have large gaps in the corners. I want to board these up from underneath and fill with large green glass beads and then cover with a glass clear resin. The resin can’t be brittle or any movement of the bath will crack it. I don’t want it to yellow with age and it needs a shiny, hard, easy to clean surface.

The 2 areas will be roughly 400mm x 300mm triangles and about 30mm deep. Can I cast this in one go or will I have to do it in layers? Will it stick to the bath and wall and provide a waterproof seal?

I don’t know if this project is a good idea or what type of resin to use. I have used some fibre glass resins before, but I’m not an expert. I have tried to find information about this, but there are too many options. Any help will be appreciated!

Dave

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Dave,

Resin could work for this project, but I see a few challenges.

1. To make sure it lasts, you will either need to use a polyester or polyurethane resin for this project. Polyester resins are notorious for yellowing over time, but if you are adding colorants, it shouldn’t effect your project much.
      2. I don’t know how you can easily cast resin into this space. The liquid is going to run through every crack and crevice. If you don’t have a good seal on all sides, it’s going to make a mess.
      3. While casting the resin directly to the bathtub (and a wall I’m guessing as well) should provide a good adhesion, you are not going to get any flexibility. Knowing houses settle, move, etc., you may end up with a shattered resin casting.
      4. Whether or not you do this in layers mostly depends on the resin you end up using. More than likely, you will need to do it in layers.
      5. A casting that size could have a fair amount of weight. You will need to make sure you have a good support structure for it.

If I were going to do this project, I would try one of two ways:

1. Create a mold with your desired dimensions. Cast into that mold. Put that casting into the space around your bath and ‘glue’ into place. I don’t know of an appropriate glue for this purpose, but I’m hoping a contractor can make a suggestion.

2. Cast two large blocks close to the dimensions that you want, then use tools to cut/shape/polish to the exact sizes you want.

If you end up doing this project, please share pictures!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Need advice for a project’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube