Need advice on making a resin pendant

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

This question comes through email by Joan:

Hi, I would like to make a pendant and surround it with resin.  I was wondering what I could use as a crater or like a deep dish to place the pendant in.  Some told me not to use metal because the resin would not release it and I would have a metal band around the pendant.  I know the molds release the resin, but I do not want to cut up one of my molds just to make a surround piece to hold the resin against the pendant.  Do you have any suggestion what I could use, so after it is cured I will have just a pendant encased in resin?  I hope I have explained what I am trying to do.

Katherine Swift

Joan,

Have you tried one of the reusable plastic molds?  If you properly prepare it, your resin will pop out once it has been cast.  Our jewelry cabochon molds are here:  https://www.resinobsession.com/Jewelry-Molds.html

Joan

Hi, Yes I had considered some large molds, but the pendants are different sizes and shapes.  I have some mold maker and I guess that I will have to make my own molds.  I was jusr thinking (hopeing) that there would be something else I could wrap around the pendant kinda tight and enclose it, nd then have it release.  I was wondering if the material that was used for making the molds just came in flat shheta so I would be able to use that, but I guess that would not be a very good idea.  Have to make my own molds.  Thanks for the info.  Joan

Betsy

This is just a follow up to the original question.

Ive considered dipping a variety of items in resin to achieve a "coated" effect. Ive had no problems with fabrics, and hadnt considered that other items would behave differently, but now it appears rather obvious that a non-absorbant thing might let the resin run right off of it. Do you have any ideas?

bek

Katherine Swift

A non-absorbent item should work just fine.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Need advice on making a resin pendant’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube