Need some help with clouding/bubbles and curing methods please

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Ryan

Hello everyone!

I have been reading these forums and it seems like a great community here =D
      Newbie here with lots of questions I hope you guys can help me with.
      Currently I am using the product:
      For molds: Easy mold silicone puddy for, I really like it
      Epoxy/Resin: Easy cast clear
      Now for the questions:
      Every time I take my mold out the bottom and sides are cloudy/flat and have a bit of bubbles on the bottom. The top looks great, pure gloss awesome look.
      I follow the instructions very clear, 50/50 ratio on spot. Stir 2 mins slowly etc. No bubbles at all before I pour.
      I was wondering if there is a method to avoid this or is this normal? Do you just sand and buff out the bottom/sides?
      When I first started I would just let it sit in room temp of around 75ish but it would take 4+ days to fully cure it seems.
      I decided to start and use my toaster oven (specifically for powdercoating and other small hobbys, no food lol). I set it at 175 and the clear epoxy ones seem to cure just fine harden great within 15 minutes.
      But the ones I add dyes with bubble like crazy I am assuming this is a chemical reaction with the dye and heat. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and knows a way around it?
      Kind of asking a similar question before but as far as the sanding and buffing goes, when I use to rattle spray paint I would just basically go 400 grit – 800 – 1000- 2000 then use rubbing compound, good idea for adding more gloss?
      Any good spray on finishes?
      I would love some good tips, thank! 🙂
      Katherine Swift

Hi Ryan!

Here are a couple of my thoughts about your post:

1.  As for your cloudy castings, I’m thinking that your resin was too cool, especially since you’re saying that it did better in the toaster oven.  You can try warming the resin in a pan of warm water first (for about 10 minutes).

2.  What kind of dyes are you using?  Are the dyes only bubbling up in the ones you are warming up in the toaster oven?

3.  Your sandpaper progression sounds find.  As for gloss, a caranuba wax can add a nice soft sheen to finished castings, but if you want something super shiny, either coat with another layer of resin or try our resin gloss sealer spray:  https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/castin-craft-gloss-resin-sealer-spray

Ryan

Katherine thank you for the response,

I have done the heat up method put them in warm (not boiling water) for 10-20 minutes, so that should not be a problem.
      Basically the only parts of the casting that look cloudy/crusty are the sides and bottom and I am when I pour them in I see no bubbles, the top cures to pure gloss. Maybe it has to do with the mold itself?
      I am using two brands of dyes, Castin Craft both pigment and transparent also Ranger dyes.
      I tried the sanding method, I also buffed them out with my dremel mini pads and that did not go so well. It worked great for the top but not on the bottom or sides.
      One more question,
      I made a couple washers, waited about 72 hours for them to cure and they seem to be hardened but they still have some flex if you put pressure on them, is this normal? Is there any additive or finish coating that will make them super strong like steel? I will also check out the gloss sealer you mentioned.
      Thanks again for the help!!  =D
      Katherine Swift

Whenever I hear about cloudy resin, I always think that is was cold.  Maybe since this is part next to the silicone mold, it might be worth warming the mold up first?  I dont know anything about the Ranger Dyes.  I will be happy to drop an email to Castin Craft to hear what they have to say about heating up their dyes.

Sanding with a dremel is hard!  It’s hard to keep it even.  Unless I have to take off a lot (thats when I use the dremel), I will use sandpaper underwater.  Heres a video example: 

https://youtu.be/fWii42EtJkM

As for the softness of your castings, Im afraid thats the norm for epoxy.  The spray will help a little bit, but if you (or someone else) really wants to dent them, you can.  If you want super hard castings, you will need to go with polyester or polyurethane — which opens up a whole new set of challenges!

Katherine Swift

Ryan,

Here is the response from the manufacturer: 

Cooking the epoxy in an oven heated over 90*F creates toxic fumes and is strongly discouraged.  It may change the chemistry of the epoxy as well. Pigments might react as described; something we would not have tested! 

Putty molds will often result in bubbles and dull surfaces; the method of combining the putty encourages air bubbles to form in and on the surface of the mold and sanding and polishing is the only method of finishing the cast piece. Putty molds are quick and convenient but pourable silicone rubber makes a much nicer resin mold. Air escapes from pourable molds much better and if the original is shiny then the casting made from that mold will be as well.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Need some help with clouding/bubbles and curing methods please’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube