New to resin – – having problems

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Ben

Hi all,

Brand new to resin jewellery making and have tried just the one batch. I have been drying out small flowers using silica kitty litter and it seems to working quite well. However i did not seal the flowers after drying. I seem to be having a few issues:

– The flowers float to the top of the mould and some are partially coming out over the top of the mould.
      – The resin is quite cloudy (possibly due me not sealing the flowers first?).
      – I also found it quite hard to poor the resin accurately (used a plastic funnel).

Does anyone have some advice on the 3 issues above? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Ben

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Ben,

Here are a few of my thoughts:

1. Flowers are not heavy enough to stay embedded in resin without gluing them first. In order to keep the flowers from floating, I would suggest pouring the resin in (at least) two layers. Partially embed the flower in the first layer of resin. Allow that layer of resin to (at least) partially cure before pouring the next layer.

2. Cloudy resin can happen for two reasons: Resin kit has been contaminated with water or the resin components are cold. Warm to at least 70 degrees Fahrenheit before using.

3. Depending on how thick your resin is and how large the opening to your mold is, it can be quite tedious to pour the resin. For small openings, I like to use a toothpick to help guide the resin into the mold. You can see what I’m referring to in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNSvffZ-il4

Ben

Hi Katherine,

Thanks for your help. I think through practice that I now feel pretty confident in pouring better and this has also allowed me to cast in layers which has helped with the problem of the flowers.

The cloudiness however continues. I have been warming the resin in hot water so I don’t think this is the issue. Possible water has crept into the resin though as a result of this? If so I guess I need a new batch of resin I would assume?

I also wanted to know if anyone has advice about how important it is to have the room at the temp? I am not sure if I will have a room at that temp. Is the problem that I have been casting in the evening meaning that the resin is first starting to set at night when it is cool? Is it a simple matter of starting in the morning? Or is there some advice out there about how to ensure the room is warm enough? I guess I could run my heating for 24hrs while it sets?

Cheers!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Ben,

Yes, it’s possible that water contamination could be clouding your resin. What kind/brand are you using?

Casting during cold weather can be a challenge. You can try using a warm toaster oven (120F or less — don’t use it for food again), or you can create a resin hotbox. I have a picture of one here: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-resin-resin/casting-resin-in-cold-temperatures

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘New to resin – – having problems’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube