Polishing polyester resin

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Christine:

I am planning to make some puppet eyes (as near to prosthetic eyes as possible), and my process will involve dipping a painted iris into clear polyester casting resin, dropping it into a silicone mould until it is cured, then polishing to a glass like shine.
      Two things I really need to ask, 1: is a felt or cotton buffing wheel better for this application, 2: what polish would you recommend, please? I am based in the UK so might not be able to get the same brands as you, but if you could give me the type of polish, I am sure we can find something similar.
      Thank you soooooo much.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Christine,

I have always used a cotton buff for polishing polyester castings. I haven’t tried a felt.

I like to use Fabulustre compound. Don’t know if you can get it in the UK, but I get mine here: https://www.riogrande.com/Product/Fabulustre-Cut-and-Polish-Compound/331015

Side note — I see in the listing a muslin buff is what is recommended. I don’t use the Tripoli or white diamond they recommend first as those are both cutting media. Resin is generally smooth enough already that you shouldn’t need that.

Christine Annie Walker

Thanks Katherine. I’ll see what I can find ?

Jenna

Found it…Fabuluster

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Polishing polyester resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube