Polishing problem

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Alison

Please help,,,i have been working with resin for the first time this week,, i accidentally ordered polyester resin and couldn’t figure out the difference between epoxy and polyester resin,, so i had a play with what i had got and was initially really pleased with the outcome but after waiting over 24 hours for it to dry ( a horseshoe style pendant) it was still tacky to the touch so i left it longer, (i had made up the resin using 1% catalyst of the mixture) and so i decided to try another 1 this time using 2% catalyst, this gave me the same result, tacky to touch but has dried.Does anyone else have the same problem? Also when it comes to polishing it its not polishing well and leaving the resin cloudy where i want it clear.I’ve been using wet and dry 600 grit xxx any advice please, i really want to create pet hair resin but really need some advice xxx

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

What you are experiencing is normal with polyester resin. The surface exposed to air will remain tacky, even once the resin has fully cured. You will either need to sand that side off with a coarse grit sandpaper or seal with a layer of resin gloss sealer spray. You can find it in our store here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/castin-craft-gloss-resin-sealer-spray

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Polishing problem’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube