Polyester Resin Gluing and Casting

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Kevin

I have an idea of taking cured polyester resin crystal shards, gluing them together into a large ring shape to form essentially a cup, and then filling the ring with more polyester resin and partially embedding more cured polyester resin pieces into it that stick out the top. I am going to be using Castin’ Craft Polyester Casting Resin. Is this something that is possible? I am concerned about shrinkage, and whether or not the polyester resin would stick to the already cured resin it is contained in.
      I am thinking of using epoxy resin to glue the polyester resin pieces into the ring shape. I do have E6000 if that would work better. I also read that you could use masking tape or packing tape as a removable barrier when casting epoxy resin. Can this technique be used with polyester resin too? Perhaps I can temporarily join the resin pieces into the cup shape using the tape instead.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

I’m not clear — are you using a mold for this project or is it more ‘freeform’?

Kevin

It’s more freeform. I have crystal molds to cast into, and my plan is to take all the individual pieces that I’ve cast, and somehow to glue those pieces to essentially form a freeform cup.

Katherine Swift
          Keymaster

Hi Kevin,

Since you have a lot going on here, I think this situation is best suited for a one-on-one consulting call where you and I talk back and forth about what’s going on. A 15 minute consultation call is $20. I do them by video so I can have a chance to see what you are working on.

If you are interested, please send a message through the ‘contact us’ page and I can get this going for you.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Polyester Resin Gluing and Casting’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube