Polyester resin paintings flexing up in corners

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Melissa Radcliffe

Hi there,
      Ive been making fibreglass sculptures with polyester resin so I was mucking around with it to do ‘pour’ paintings.
      Some of them were ‘dammed’ and some just wrapped over the side (and I had to sand them off the board to release off)
      I was trying to do translucent panels so needed them to be ‘backless’ but when I released them off the flat surface they flexed up at the sides.
      I’m in Newcastle, Australia in Summer and the temperatures are between 27- 37 celcius (pretty warm)
      One suggestion was the thicker parts cure differently/ have more heat.
      I’ve been reading some of the problems and solutions and think I might need a self levelling product. And if so what is it’s common name so I can speak the right language to my local supplier. They have been helpful but are not familiar with the techniques of pour painting.
      I don’t think you deliver to Aus?
      Thanks in advance
      Mel

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Mel,

Unfortunately, polyester resin isn’t good for using on paintings because it isn’t self-leveling, even with a tape dam. A doming resin like the Resin Obsession artwork resin is a better choice. You can buy it in our store here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-artwork-resin

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Polyester resin paintings flexing up in corners’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube