Problems with bubbles in silicone molds! Please help!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Kassandra

I dont know what Im doing wrong : / Im an obvious resin noob.

I have decided that making resin steampunk jewelry is my calling and I chose Envirotex Jewelry Resin as my resin of choice due to the super easy instructions.
      Ive made my own molds with Easymold 2 part silicone putty.
      Now the problem…I stir my resin very slowly and patiently. I dont have bubbles in the resin. I put it in the mold (which I do carefully by using the popsicle stick to drip it in slowly) and its fine…No bubbles…I come back to check on it a couple hours later and there are bubbles everywhere on the BOTTOM where I cant get em without messing it up! : / Whats goin on here? lol What am I doing wrong? Please istruct me so I dont have to make all my piece water themed just to match the insane bubbles like THIS http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm57/Kerick_2008/photo1_zps9ec06f97.jpg This makes m sad : ( Please help my noobly self!!
      Katherine Swift

Kassandra,

It may be the resin.  ETI (the manufacturer of Envirotex jewelry resin), recommends that this resin should only be used in bezels, not molds.  They only recommend doing pours of 1/8" or less.  I cant tell exactly how thick your casting is from the picture, but that may be the problem.

I will also send a link to ETI and see what else they can suggest.

Kassandra

That actually makes a lot of sense and I never even thought about that lol…Thanks ^_^ what would you recommend I use for my silicone molds? What type of resin would be best for that? 

Katherine Swift

In speaking with tech support at ETI, they thought it might have more to do with using two part silicone putty.  They suggested you would have more luck using a two part silicone kit and making molds for resin jewelry from that.

laura

I havent tried the 2 part kit or 2 part putty, Im new and not sure the difference but in the class I took we put our mold right under a hot lamp after pouring and amazingly it brought all of the bubbles to the top! It was really cool! Also we used "ICE" resin. I hope this helps 🙂

mr.saccharin

the easymold rubber creates hydrogen gas bubbles as it cures and these seep into the resin that is in your mold. The package suggests heat curing the mold but i’ve found this doesn’t work either.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Problems with bubbles in silicone molds! Please help!’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube