Purple/red resin pieces turning brown in LED/Sun light

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Carl

So I’ve started making resin pieces, mostly jewelry although I have been creating spheres for future use. I’ve run into a problem with all my purple and red pieces looking great in regular indoor lighting, but under a flashlight or out in the sun, they turn brown in colour. I have been using liquid dyes but have not had any problems with the other colours. I’ve tried a different dye and I’ve tried a different resin brand and it still ends up like that. Does anyone know the cause of this?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Are you using colors made for the resin you are using? i.e. same manufacturer?

Carl

No the dyes are separate dyes not by the resin manufacturer. The current brand of resin that I use only have fluorescent pigments which isn’t really suited for my needs. I was curious as I had 2 different brands of resin do the same thing with red infused colours

Katherine Swift
          Keymaster

Hi Carl,

Resins and colorants can be interact a little strangely together if they aren’t made by the same manufacturer. I talk about it a little bit in this video: https://youtu.be/J7Vp7yUHGDE

Has the manufacturer given you any advice? They should best be able to tell you what colors their product.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Purple/red resin pieces turning brown in LED/Sun light’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube