Question re: Easy Cast Epoxy sanding and polishing. HELP!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Laurie
      Laurie

oops! it posted beforfe i could ask my question.

i am making a paperweight for my husband using this resin. i removed it from the mold today and the top (which was the bottom of the mold) is matte and has several imperfections/rough spots. i  would like to have the top be as glossy and smooth as the bottom. i know you can sand the edges, but what about the top? i cant afford to screw it up bc i managed to get some grass from Notre Dames football stadium and i have it encased in the epoxy. my husband is a die hard fan and i want this to be the best christmas present ever! anyone know what i can use to fix this? sandpaper? polish? im desperate!
      thanks
      Katherine Swift

Laurie,

What a neat gift!  Here are a few of my thoughts:

Yes, you can sand the top just like you do the sides.  As you know though, resin can sand down fast, so start with a fine grit sandpaper.

How big are the imperfections?  Maybe you can dot in a bit of resin to fill in the dents, then go back over them with a bit of sandpaper to even them up.  (I wouldn’t start with anything over 600 grit — go slowly — easier to take it off than put it back on.)

Of course, I would ask whether or not this is something your husband would notice.  Im super fussy perfect about my resin jewelry too, but I have found out that I drive myself crazy over things people don’t even notice.

As for the shiny gloss finish, you can get that by either propping up your piece and coating it with another layer of resin or you can use the resin gloss sealer spray (find here:  https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/castin-craft-gloss-resin-sealer-spray )  You can see both of these techniques in the video on our you tube channel on how to sand and finish a resin bangle bracelet

https://youtu.be/51kSn5Xqfw8

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Question re: Easy Cast Epoxy sanding and polishing. HELP!’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube