Release resin from bezel

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      rachael

Hi I have been using resin from (jewellery maker) I was wondering is there any way that I can release the cured resin from the metal bezel setting ( I have heard that acetone can be used but im not sure how to do it.)
      If anyone knows how to do this please help or any other way that I can release the resin.

Thank you
      Rachael
      Katherine Swift

Rachael,

Ive never tried using acetone to get cured resin off a metal bezel.  I will use diamond bur attachments for my flex shaft to sand the resin off/out.

If you try the acetone option, I would be curious to hear how it works out for you.

Katherine Swift

If youre going to try acetone, you will need to soak your piece in it.  Check it frequently (like every 3 to 5 minutes), then see what happens.  When I have done this technique trying to get acetone out of plastic cups, the cured resin gets rubbery, then I flex the cup to try to get a resin edge to pop up.  I then try to pull the resin out with a pair of pliers.  Obviously the metal bezel isnt going to flex, so you might want to be prepared to scrape it out.  I doubt the resin is going to dissolve.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Methylene chloride will dissolve resin around the edges enough that you can pop it out of a metal bezel. You can get it a home improvement store.

USING METHYLENE CHLORIDE CAN BE VERY DANGEROUS. PLEASE FOLLOW ALL SAFETY PRECAUTIONS.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Release resin from bezel’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube