Resin and Traditional Art Metal

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Rob Meixner

I have been a traditional metal artist for nearly 50 years making sterling silver, gold and some copper jewelry. About 15 years ago, in an effort to add color to my work, I learned lapidary and now cut and polish most of the lapidary that I use. In the last couple years I have become fascinated with the potential in resin. After looking at the ganoksin site, and others that traditional metal artists frequent, I can’t find a lot of what I would call good traditional metal work that also incorporates resin. Much of what I have found so far is done in purchased findings and some wire wrapping. I have experimented with doming and casting resins and have had some success. My hope is to incorporate harder resins (I am not sure what kind), that will allow me to shape and polish their final surface to be consistent with the shape and finish on the metal work that I do. If anyone can direct me to sites, books and other media that might discuss these techniques and also possibly show work that incorporates more traditional metal working techniques, I would appreciate it. I am ready to purchase more resin supplies, but need a little advice on what to buy and how to proceed first. You can see my work at http://www.robmeixner.com. I am also more than happy to share what I do with others. Thanks…Rob

Rob Meixner

No replies to my original rather global question so I will try to make it more specific. I can make open and backed copper, silver and gold bezels in just about any shape. I have been experimenting with various clear and colored resins adding inclusion of sand, ground colored stones and solid color. Other than the fact that the resin and hardener were old, my only problems were bubbles and keeping the resin inside the bounds of the bezel, especially open backed bezels. Since I had to take my old resin and hardener to the hazardous waste dump, I need to buy new supplies in smaller quantities so that they don’t go bad. Can others recommend Resin Obsession or other products that will allow me to do the following: make domed hard clear cast open and closed bezel pours with inclusions, color the clear resin, and resins that can be ground, sanded an polished the same way that I do metal. I have researched the Resin Obsession site and others and know that I probably need two different types of resins. I also built a small vacuum chamber for degassing. I needed it for other project that I am doing as well as to degas resin. Any thoughts on degassing chambers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any replies…Rob

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Rob,

I don’t know of a doming resin that will also take grinding and polishing like you mention. Can I ask why that’s important? Generally a doming resin will produce a shiny finish that shouldn’t need additional work.

Rob Meixner

If there is a doming resin that will cure hard enough to be durable, I am happy. Let me know what it might be. I did just finish a small hand pump driven degassing chamber that will pump down to 25″ hg. This should help the bubble problem. Thanks…Rob

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

How deep are your pieces? If you use the right resin and mix it carefully, degassing should be unnecessary.

Rob Meixner

My bezels can be any size and depth but are typically anywhere from 2-10 mm deep. Any resin that I have used to date has had bubbles in it. I fish them out or break them with tooth picks. Play hot air over the surface with a small heat gun and let it stand as long as I can before I pour it. I still get bubbles from time to time. My degasser is a simple brake line bleeding hand vacuum pump and a sealed Mason jar.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

The reason I don’t like degassers is that they tend to bring bubbles to the surface, but don’t necessarily pop. You are left with ‘beer foam’ on your resin. If anything, a pressure pot would be better. It smushes bubbles so that you can’t see them.

If you are using a doming resin, they can mix quite thick. I have a few tips in this video on how to help with bubbles: https://youtu.be/ugQSgVIP2Uk

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin and Traditional Art Metal’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube