Resin Belt Buckle Newbie

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Julie

Hi…I need advice from some experts!  I just started making resin belt buckles. I am using Envirotex Lite. The first 6 buckles I did turned out great.  So, i did another batch of 7. The batch of seven have spidery web lines (dont know how else to describe them), on the top of the surface. Is there a way I can buff that out? I wasnt sure what to use. Also, if I am unable to buff them, can I put another layer of resin on, or will the lines just show through the new layer of resin. Do you think not mixing the resin well enough makes the lines? There were no bubbles, and it also hardened just fine and isnt tacky.  I have searched and searched for a similar issue and havent been able to find one.
      Thanks for any advice!!
      Julie

Katherine Swift

Julie,

Did this happen on the surface next to the mold or the exposed surface?
      Are they hazy lines?  I have had this happen to pieces when I have used a straw and blew on the resin to get the bubbles out.  If its on the surface that touched I mold, I wonder if the mold release wasnt dry.  The good news is that whenever I have had this happen (assuming they werent very noticeable), I have been able to cover it up with another layer of resin.

Good luck!

Julie

I am pouring resin on top of an image (that has been "modge podged") in a blank metal belt buckle, no mold is being used. The hazy lines are spider web looking, on top of the resin, you can kinda feel them. The surface is not smooth. I have 1000 grit sand paper. can I use that to smooth them out and then re-pour resin on top of it?

Thanks for your help. Like I said, I am a complete newbie at this. My first few went so well, I thought I was a natural! HA Then this batch did this to me, and I had to rethink my natural thoughts!

I wonder if higher humidity make the lines occur?

Katherine Swift

Julie,

My first thought is that this still has something to do with moisture.  Did you use a straw to blow on the resin to remove bubbles?

I also wonder if the Envirotex is being crabby because it is in too thick a layer.  It really likes to be poured thin.

By the way, youre welcome to add pictures if you like.  That will help me too.

Yes, I would agree with out about sanding down your pieces.  Whenever I do it, I always take it down to 2000 grit.  I want to be absolutely sure there are now sand marks that could show up after putting on another layer of resin. 

By the way, you can get the super fine (1000 grit and higher) sandpaper at an auto parts or auto detailing store.

Let us know how it turns out!

Julie

Thanks for your advice. I got a 1000 grit, but couldnt get the 2000. I will try the auto parts store tomorrow…thanks for that! 

How do I post a picture? I will do that to show what it looks like.

Thanks!!!

Julie

Katherine Swift

Julie,

The way I do pictures is to open it up in Paint.  Resize the picture if necessary.  Drag it off of paint onto your browser tab, then drop it in this box.  Click submit.

I have no idea how to do it on a Mac.

Julie

I found 2000 grit sandpaper at Autozone. Sanded down the "spiderwebs". Reapplied resin…looks beautiful and smooth!

Thanks for all the replies, Katherine!

Julie

Oluwatoyin

Hi there

Can you please recommend any specific types for use with resin as well as a supplier,
      Thanks
      T
      Katherine Swift

Hi, have you checked around our website?  We have several different types of resin depending on what youre trying to make.

https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin Belt Buckle Newbie’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube