Resin choice

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Brian

Hi. I watched your YouTube video on picking a resin, and it was very helpful, but I still have some questions.

I’m casting a statue. I have a three part mold with moderate detail and the volume is about 7 oz. I have been using Alumilite’s Amazing Casting Resin, but the quick set time is a bit of a challenge and I was disappointed to learn it is restricted to specific pigments. I’m considering switching to an epoxy resin, but I’m concerned about the viscosity and resulting air bubbles: I can’t afford a pressure chamber and I rely on a vibration table. Your in-house “Resin Obsession” resin sounded promising, but I see it has a 3 oz max mixing quantity.

So, I’m asking if you have any recommendations? I am on a budget too, so that doesn’t help 🙂 But I appreciate any advice you might give. Thanks!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Brian,

Are you going to be coloring the resin or leaving it clear? That will help me with a recommendation.

Brian

I’d like to color it, if possible. Painting it is kind of a last resort. Thanks!

Katherine Swift
          Keymaster

Hi Brian, I don’t have a recommendation of a product in our store, but you need to use a casting resin that can be poured in large volumes and colored all at once. Alumilite has some clear polyurethane casting resins that have a 10 to 12 minute pot time that you can add color to.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Resin choice’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube