Resin cures with a less than glass finish

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Sam

I’ve been attempted to resin a photo mural I have created but the resin is curing to a less thab ideal finish.

I am using Plantinum ultra 2:1 epoxy resin from diy composite supplies(Brisbane, Australia) onto Fujifilm dry photo paper, also tested with Boyle gloss varnish and no gloss varnish applied to the photos before pouring resin.

The resin when poured looks glass clear, but after initial cure of 24 hours, the resin gets a fine grainy texture which no longer looks like the ideal “wet” aesthetic i expect the resin to maintain.

I have tried spraying the surface with isopropyl alcohol, using a butane torch and no touching it at all, and this grainy texture continues to persist. Is this an inherent issue with the brand? The manufacturer has offered little help when contacting them.

I have tried in my living room and garage where humidity has been ~60% and temperature has sat between18-22 celcius

What are some possible solutions?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Sam,

I have not used this brand of resin, but experienced something similar in a different brand. The explanation there was that something had come out of solution. Try warming up both containers before using the resin again.

With any luck, you can coat your mural with another layer of resin and will fill in the texture.

Psylan

Hi!

I’ve been having this issue with the exact same resin. I’ve bought several different batches from DIY Composites and they keep telling me it’s because I haven’t mixed it properly. My last two batches I mixed with an electric mixer and a popsicle stick and it still has the ‘film’ ‘crazing’ ‘oil marks’ on it. I find it develops between 15-35 minutes after mixing then pouring. Goes on clear then boom it appears.

Never had this problem with any other resin. I might try warming up the resin next time on the stove with hot water, but it’s extremely annoying. It’s only on the top layer, so doming is extremely hard.

I did hold a gas lighter over the film for a couple of minutes and it seemed to get of some of the film. I’m waiting on my latest batch to cure to see if the piece stays that way.

Hope it helps, you’re not the only one having issues with it.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin cures with a less than glass finish’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube