Resin for creating a bead vial

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes through email by Jodi:

I’ve begun a new adventure creating beads which become a vial to hold a tiny amount if liquid in them for keepsakes, such as your mothers perfume, or an aromatherapy blend. I’ve found some of these beads online but I would like to create my own. So, I’m using regular beads, both glass and plastic and would like to seal one end while using a tiny screw eyelet on the other which would allow for the person to open up and fill and then screw back in. Clearly it would need to fit properly. I’m certain I can use resin easily to seal one end, but I am wondering if I use resin for the eyelet end, would I be able to remove the screw once the resin has cured? This could open up so many beautiful designs if it works!
      Thank you!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Jodi,

Can you reply with a link to a bead you are trying to recreate? A picture would be helpful in making a resin recommendation.

Jodi

Sure! Here is an idea of what I’m trying tto do. Although, I think I can do much better designs on my own. 😉

Jodi
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Jodi,

If I were going to recreate something like what you link to, here is how I would go about it:

1. Select a vial and a screw top lid that I want to use to contain the liquid (perfume, essential oil, etc.)
      2. Select or create a mold large enough to hold the vial the way you want it. From the pictures you show, the vials are suspended in the pieces.
      3. Next comes the tricky part that is going to require some experimentation on your part. To make the vial a part of the casting, I would try two different approaches to see what works best:
      *Cast the vial in place when pouring the resin. You can do this by casting the resin in two pours. Cast the first pour to the bottom of where the vial is going to sit. Once the resin has cured enough to hold the vial, pour in the second layer. OR, you can cast it all at once if you can find a way to suspend the vial in the mold while the resin cures.
      *Fully fill the mold with resin. Once it has cured, use a drill the same size as your vial to drill a vertical hole to place your vial. Use a little resin to glue it into place.
      4. I don’t know how the top secures to the vial, but you will need to leave room for that to be able to happen. I’m guessing it is either a snap or screw on closure.

As for your original question, yes you can use resin to seal one end. If you use it to seal the eyelet end, you won’t be able to get the eyelet back out. I’m thinking you will need to have a glass insert of some kind, otherwise, the liquid you place into the hold will permeate into the bead.

Jodi

Thank you for your help!I guess my original idea won’t work with resin then. ? I’ll have to work onnit in a different way somehow. Thank you!

Jodi

Katherine, what if I fill the hole where the bead is usually strung with wire or something and after it hardens use a dremel or something to bore out the hole only long enough for some liquid and the correct thickness to work with the eyelet? Would that work?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

You are still going to have the problem that the liquid may permeate the bead. I think you are going to have to involve a glass vial container somehow.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin for creating a bead vial’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube