Resin for drinking glasses

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

This question comes through email by Drew:

Good morning!

I am working on a project and I need some expert opinion. The goal of my project is to take glass bottles with labels on them, and convert them into cups. I want to keep the labels though, and to do so I would need some type of translucent sealant to place over the labels on the glass. I believe there are products which do this, however, I need a solution to the fact that people will be drinking out of these and lips would come into contact with this treated area.

Could I use a sealant and then some type of translucent food safe resin over it? What are your thoughts?

Katherine Swift

Hi Drew,

I have seen a few tutorials on making wine bottles into glasses, but I have no experience with this.  That being said the Resin Obsession super clear resin is food safe when fully cured, so you could use it for this purpose.  What I cant tell you is whether or not the resin would stick well to the glass.  Our resin is not a doming resin, so I dont have expectations that it would work for your needs.

Perhaps there are spray adhesive alternatives that can work for this?  Have you considered removing the label and reapplying it lower on the glass?  Just throwing around ideas….

Hans

Hi, I have project I am doing, it consist of casting a tiki style cup out of resin, I saw the post about the food save clear resin and was thing of using it on the inside, her is my problem, I want to paint and weather the out side to make it look like wood, is there a clear coat food safe sealer i can use?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin for drinking glasses’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube