Resin on Canvas HELP :(

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Gaby Hatzopoulos

I do paint pouring on canvas and then add vinyl. I want to add a varnish that doesn’t allow you to feel the difference between the vinyl and the acrylic when you run your hand over it, and so far resin has been the only thing that allows me to do this.

BUT RESIN IS SO HARD. I suck at pouring it, it makes a giant mess, I keep seeing divots in my canvases, and basically it’s ruining all of my work.

Is this something you just get better at/ What’s the best way I can cover my canvas with the resin without all these divots? I tried using a craft stick to spread it everywhere but I guess I’m not doing it evenly and I’m getting spots without any resin and the coating is uneven. Pleaseeeeeeeee help.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Gaby,

How frustrating! It sounds like you may not be using enough resin. When you don’t use enough, you get divots. This resin calculator will let you know how much resin you need to use for your project:
      https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-calculator/

Jadelyn

Like most things, you do get better at it with practice. But, are you sure you’re using enough resin to fully coat your canvas? Resin is generally self-leveling, so if spreading it fully is difficult, and you’re getting spots without resin on them and uneven coating my guess is you’re not using enough. There’s a calculator on Art Resin’s website that you put in canvas dimensions and it tells you how many ounces to mix to get a 1/8″ layer on that size canvas.

You might also warm your resin a bit before starting to help it flow better. Just set the resin bottles (TIGHTLY CLOSED, you do not want water IN your resin) in a bowl of warm water for 5 minutes before you start mixing and pouring.

Also, presumably you’re wearing gloves to protect your hands, right? I usually find it easier to spread resin out with my hands than with stir sticks or anything else. You could give that a try and see if it makes the spreading part easier.

Gaby Hatzopoulos

Ahh thank you so much!!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin on Canvas HELP :(’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube