Resin on wood studs

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Kristin

Help meee! I am hand painting wooden studs (triangles, squares etc) and want to put a layer of resin on top! How do I do this successfully. I have made molds with amazing putty. Firstly Is it better to put resin in mild and stud face down or to put it face up and cover with resin? Iv tried both. Neither have been successful!

Secondly do I need molds at all or can I create a professional look without them?

Help I’m a total beginner! Thanks in advance

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Kristin,

I’m having a hard time visualizing what you are trying to do. Can you link to a picture?

Kristin

Hi Katherine

Sorry😳 I’m not exposing it well. Basically I have tiny 12mm wooden shapes that I paint or top with fabric that I would then like to tip with resin. I’m just trying to find out the best method to use to do this.

Thanks in advance

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Got it! When you said wood studs I was envisioning you doing a home remodel. LOL!

As for the technique, you want to use a doming resin on top of the studs. We have several in our store here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/doming When applying the resin, put on enough to cover ~ 2/3 of the stud, then pull it to the corner. If you put on enough to cover the entire piece, it will run over the side.

You will want to use the technique I show in this video on how to dome resin: https://youtu.be/MrVj4JSpPzI

Dani

I’m doing small pendants with pieces of shell. I decorate the tops with tiny beads, and drip resin on the tops just enough to barely cover. It domes up nicely and doesn’t run off the edges as long as I don’t use too much. You might try the same. Maybe just a drop and spread it to the edge with a toothpick if necessary.

Kristin

Thanks!! Can I ask what resin you use as I also have struggle with mine not gardening enough

Dani

I’m currently using envirotex jewelry resin. You can try doing 2 coats if the first isn’t thick enough maybe. In the past I’ve used another brand of resin available at hobby lobby but I forgot the name. They both work.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin on wood studs’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube