Resin over Glass

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Linda Nickerson

Hello, I’ve started pouring resin over glass, embedding objects (resin, shells, etc). Everything looked great but then the glass started to get cracks in it. This happened on a small table top that was an insert in a metal side table. How do I prevent the glass from cracking? Please point me to the proper topic if this has been addressed.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Unfortunately resin over glass can be a problem. Resin and glass don’t ‘expand and contract’ together. One will try and the other will be inflexible causing the cracking.

Linda Nickerson

Ah, ok, that makes sense. I’m trying to repair it using the stuff you use for Windshield repair. We’ll see if that does anything.

Ruth

I understand suspended on a round table that has no support.
      However I would be using on glass that is a on a coffee table. Not suspended on its own.
      Thx for any input

Carolyn Wheeler

I have been using resin on glass and plexiglass for quite some time. As Katherine said, The flexibility and expandability of resin on substrates is a serious issue. I have done very large (and expensive!) pieces that looked great at first but split apart over time. I don’t recommend using resin on either one.

Fabiane

Hello there I am a terrario designer based in Brasil and have been using resin on glass interiors. I have had the same bad experience. It looks great but can crack later (a few days or a few months) out of the blue, in hot days here at the office I could here it craking once. I have been researching this topic and I found your post. I thought it was a problem of the brazilian brand that I using or maybe the glass had to be super thick. But I come to agree with the point above lexibility and expandability of resin on glass could make the use of glass on water effects not a suitable for commercial purposes specially.

Windshield Replacement Good Year

To remove the resin you must use the warm water, through this way you can remove it easily.

Shar

I make designs of shattered glass on old windows. I pour resin over the finished product. The last piece has one annoying air bubble in the hardened resin. Any idea on how to get rid of it?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin over Glass’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube