Resin pulls away from the edges of flat pieces once cured

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Kristy

I make polymer clay flat pendants and sometimes coat them with resin on the top only. I push the resin out to the very edge, but not so far that it will drip over the edge and down the sides. I find that once cured, there is often a bare perimeter around the piece as if the resin all pulled towards the middle of the piece.

Is this from using a doming resin? I cant recall which type/brand I used that caused this problem, as I have used several brands and experienced this problem several different times. What can I do to keep this from happening?

Katherine Swift

Hi Kristy,

I dont have experience with polymer clay, but I will make comments with my experience making scrabble and domino pendants.

A doming resin wants to stay domed.  If your edge is rounded, your resin doesnt want to go out that far.  It will draw back in, especially since it sounds like you are being careful not to get it too close to the edge.  You might consider putting on a second layer of resin.  I have had good luck tricking the resin to going out further on the edge that way.  You can see what Im talking about in this video on our you tube channel.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGnktjLr-O4

Kristy

Thank you Katherine!

When this happens, my pieces will look a lot like the tile on the right that you intentionally left with bare corners. Using a second layer is a great idea, but what would keep the same thing from happening again if it all wants to pull to the center in a dome?

Katherine Swift

Hi Kristy,

I dont have experience with polymer clay, but I will make comments with my experience making scrabble and domino pendants.

A doming resin wants to stay domed.  If your edge is rounded, your resin doesnt want to go out that far.  It will draw back in, especially since it sounds like you are being careful not to get it too close to the edge.  You might consider putting on a second layer of resin.  I have had good luck tricking the resin to going out further on the edge that way.  You can see what Im talking about in this video on our you tube channel.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGnktjLr-O4

Katherine Swift

Im sure there is a physics equation that explains it, but I cant necessarily do it.  You may need to practice a few times in case the resin decides to run over the edge.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin pulls away from the edges of flat pieces once cured’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube