Resin tacky – Can I remove it?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Kerry

The first couple of times I used my jewelers grade epoxy resin it went swimmingly.  This time, however, something went wrong and everything I covered it in is now tacky nearly 24 hours later.  The package says if this happens, it must be removed and reapplied.  How do I remove it?  Will acetone work?  Im trying not to destroy the project if I dont have to… 🙂

Thanks
      km
      Kerry

Thank you – Ill try that.  Ill post again to let you know how it went for future reference 🙂

Kerry
      Katherine Swift

Kim,

How tacky is it?  If its just firm but sticky, I would expect you would be able to pop it out, especially if you used a mold release.

If that isnt possible, I would try some industrial strength acetone (e.g. from a hardware store) to try to get it out.  Just a warning, this may damage your mold and you should wear gloves when doing this.

If your resin is a gooey mess, than Im afraid its going to be about impossible to get the resin out without causing yourself a lot of aggravation.

Kerry

I painted the resin on top of a polymer clay project.  Its a very thin layer and its sticky to the touch, not gooey.  I havent tried acetone yet but I will do.

Kerry

As an alternative, can I try painting another thin layer of resin on top of the sticky coat?  Do you think that second layer would harden or would it not set properly because of the first layer?  Im using the resin as a sealant.

Katherine Swift

If its just "tape like" sticky, then yes, I would go over it again with another layer of epoxy.

Kerry

The second coat worked – thanks!  🙂

km
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Resin tacky – Can I remove it?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube