Scales for knife making

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Rob Nabakowski

Hello Resin Experts! I’m new and joined to get some more information for resin casting. I am a knife/sword maker and am looking to start casting handle scales and blocks. I’ve bought these in the past, but as with most things, if I can do this myself, I want to learn. So my general question to you all is what would your suggestion be for a starter kit for casting knife scales/blocks, which will be used for knife/sword handles. So, I would need material, which will cure very hard, be able to be machined, and for more aesthetic purposes, possesses a nice gloss appearance. Thank you in advance for any suggestions that you may give, but I’ll also thank you AFTER as well.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Rob,

Based upon your description, it sounds like you need to use a clear polyurethane resin. Epoxies don’t tend to do well with power tools (they hate the heat from the friction of sanding) and there is generally too much shrink from using wood and polyester resins. Unfortunately, clear polyurethanes are not something we sell. Instead, we recommend using the ones from Alumilite (you can find them at alumilite.com) They should be able to help you with a specific product recommendation along with other techniques. Please let them know we referred you. 🙂

Good luck!

robnabs

Thank you Katherine!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Scales for knife making’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube