Sealing fabrics for resin

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

This question comes through email by Betsy:

Hi there ? I am a fiber artist looking for unique ways to use resin with fibers. I have an idea that I?m just dying to try, but it has a BIG problem. Of course the fun part is supposed to be solving those problems creatively, but I?m lazy. Soooo… I?m wondering if you can think of a way to set a piece of fabric (or similar, absorbent material) into resin… while leaving some part of the fabric (like a fringe, maybe) out of the resin. I have a few ideas, including sealing the inside edges of the fabric and laying to fabric on the top layer of resin then mounding it, but I?d really rather have the out pieces of fiber be in the center of the piece.

Katherine Swift

Betsy,

First thing you will need to do is seal the fabric that will coming in touch with the resin.  You can do this with a glue (like Ultra Seal) or we also have the resin gloss sealer spray. 

Here’s the gloss sealer spray: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/castin-craft-gloss-resin-sealer-spray

Ultra seal glue: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/ultra-seal-sealant-and-glue

Seal twice and allow to dry fully.  Depending on how you are trying to encase your fabric, you will most likely need at least two pours.  You can try pouring the first bit of resin into your mold and allow to cure.  Place in your fabric, pour your second batch of resin into the mold.The other thing you can try is a sandwich approach.  You can try casting your entire piece of resin and allow to cure.  Slice it in half like a sandwich bun using a jewelers saw.  Place in your fabric with a bit of additional resin smeared in there like the mayo/mustard.  Close your sandwich and allow to cure.I would love to see what you come up with!

Betsy

Thank you for taking the time to come up with these ideas! I am intrigued by your "sandwich" method, though skeptical about my ability to make a straight cut with a jewelry saw, or any saw for that matter.Would it work to make two shallow flat pieces and "glue them together with the fabric and resin?

I also wonder how any resin sandwich will look as a finished product. Will it look like a single piece of resin or will it have tell-tale lines? Maybe Ill go ahead and give it a try and see for myself what happens…

Thanks again, bek

Katherine Swift

Betsy,

I think making two pieces and gluing them together could work too.

If the resin is clear, and you get a good seal, I wouldnt expect that you would see any lines.  If youre mixing a color, then you might since its almost impossible to remix the same color every time (if youre adding a colorant).

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Sealing fabrics for resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube