Setting Swarovski Stones in Resin

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Sara

Hi!

Someone asked a similar question but I was still a little confused by the answer so I figured I’d ask again. So, I want to use resin as a component in one of my pieces of jewelry and I’d like to set Swarovski stones in the resin, since they are foil backed and will keep their sparkle.

So my questions are: 1, what resin would be best to use for this? I need to dye it pink and I would like a fairly high dome so I need it to be pretty viscous. I’m thinking a thicker resin will help with setting the stones as well which brings me to my second question, is setting the stones in the resin while its wet enough to keep them in without falling out? Or should I place E6000 on the back before placing the stones? Will that cause some kind of crazy offgassing? So many questions, any help is so appreciated 🙂

Thank you!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Sara,

You will not want to cast the stones within the resin. Even with the foil back, they will lose their sparkle because the light won’t refract and bounce around properly off the facets.

When I have done a similar project, I waited until the casting was fully cured, then glued them on later with E6000. You can see what I did here: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-tutorials/resin-and-crystal-pendant You could place the crystals into the resin once it has mostly gelled, but that requires intense babysitting. (I didn’t want to sit there waiting for resin to cure.) You will get as good a hold as the E6000, probably better.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Setting Swarovski Stones in Resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube