Resin Obsession – Resin Art, Crafts & Jewelry Supplies › Forums › Whoops! › Silicone mold stuck to resin cast!
- This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 10 months ago by Fern.
- August 5, 2019 at 2:50 pm #71245FernGuest
Argh. Project yesterday got too hot and as I released the resin from the mold, there are chunks of silicone mold that tore off on to the resin. I’ve only found ONE video on the internet of a woman who makes resin coasters and uses a dremel to sand bits of mold off the dried resin then she polishes them, but would that work for bigger chunks of silicone? I’m afraid to sand this! I’ve never sanded down a piece before. What do you guys recommend for getting these pieces off?
- August 5, 2019 at 3:07 pm #71253Katherine SwiftKeymaster
Try cutting off as much of the silicone as possible, then sand.
- August 5, 2019 at 3:26 pm #71264FernGuest
Thank you! I didn’t even think about scissors lol. What do you use to polish after? I’ve seen people use silicone oil, or just rub on a polishing paste. Any personal recommendations?
- August 6, 2019 at 11:17 am #71783Katherine SwiftKeymaster
Hi Fern, this video should give you some ideas: https://youtu.be/Wm89lAqDCqo
The gloss sealer spray and Novus polish shown in the video can be found in our store here: