Slow-curing deep pour curing time

• This topic has 7 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 year ago by .
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Damon

I’m using the Resin Obsession slow-curing deep pour resin, waiting for gel time to add the next layer. I combined 400ml resin with 200ml hardener and mixed then for 4-5 minutes. The pour is just under 2″ deep, and room temperature is about 71 degrees. It’s been sitting for close to 6 hours and is still quite fluid. Is something wrong?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Damon,

I’m glad to hear you’re having fun with the deep pour resin. Woo hoo!

You did a good job of mixing enough, and in the right ratio of resin to hardener, so I don’t think that’s your problem.

It’s completely normal for the deep pour resin to be fluid at 6 hours after mixing. (It freaked me out, too the first few times I used this formula.) Depending on how thick you pour this resin, it takes 12 to 18 hours to reach the gel phase. Maybe even a little longer if you’re pouring it in a thin layer.

How does it this morning?

Damon

I ended up pouring the next layer after 11-12 hours. It’s looking pretty decent.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

That’s good to hear Damon. Keep me posted on your progress. 🙂

Damon

I’ll need to remove the the project from the temperature-controlled space it’s been in for 3.5 days. Since it’s such a large pour (over a liter) I’d like to keep it curing for a few more days – are temperature swings (64-72) okay at this point?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

It’s not ideal, but better than nothing. 🙂

Is the resin hard?

Damon

The exposed top surface is hard and not tacky. Any tips for eventually removing the acrylic mold? Thanks!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Since the top is hard, yes, you can move it to your other space, even it if gets a little cooler.

The acrylic mold probably going to have to come off in pieces. Do you have a rubber mallet to hit the ends?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Slow-curing deep pour curing time’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube