Sticky Resin Mess!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Renee

Hi Everyone!

I am brand new to resin and am SO excited by all the possibilities!  I have done 2 castings now just to play around with it (to iron out the kinks).  Unfortunately, my 2nd casting didnt go so well.  Half of my pieces didnt set (not sure why).  My problem is, those that didnt set are now a sticky mess – and they are stuck in the molds!  They wont come out!
      How do I get them out without ruining my molds?
      Thanks so much!
      Renee
      Katherine Swift

Renee,

Sorry to hear your castings didnt go so well!  Here are two suggestions for you:

1.  Place your castings in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes.  Remove the mold and slap it onto a hard surface.  Hopefully, your castings will pop out.

2.  If that doesnt work, you can try soaking the molds with some hardware store strength acetone. 

If neither of those work, Im afraid in my experience, the molds are toast.  🙁

Renee

Thank you SO much Katherine – the freezer idea worked!  Phew, my molds are saved!  🙂

Roberta

Sadly my rsin did not cure all the way and was tacky sticky mess also . I just got this new mold and was using it for the 2nd time . I was excited to see my results as the last time they came out wonderful. Sadly i had to throw out my mold because getting what was there out and cleaning it was near impossible and now i am going to have to get more molds …
       I know i put equal parts of the resin mix . I know how to work with epoxy since i used to work at a manufactoring plant asa line supervisor and had many different kinds of epoxies i worked with on different machines and always had to check to make sure the flow was even and the ratio was correct ..
       My only thought on why it went wrong . Is that i used the same measuring cups that had some left over resin in it and that messed it up . 🙁 so back to waiting on new molds before i can do more .

Katherine Swift

@Roberta,

This article on our blog will give you some other troubleshooting tips too:  https://www.resinobsession.com/tag/troubleshooting/

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Sticky Resin Mess!’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube