Tatting shuttle

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Julie:

I want to learn resin so I can make tatting shuttles casted with leaves and flowers. Please tell me if it is doable.

tatting shuttles

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Julie,

Theoretically, the answer is yes. Do these need to be flexible? Do you have a mold for these or do you need to make a mold?

Julie Santos Villegas

Thank you for this reply. The ends of the shuttles need to be flexible emough to accomodate the thread that needs to pass through the the ends.
      No I do not have a mold for the shuttles. I can send you one shuttle if you want to so you can scrutinize it further. Thank you.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

To be quite honest, to cast these is going to be a lot of work. First, you will need to create a mold for the shuttles. The way they are shown in the pictures is how I would try to mold it. The high points in the center of each side will be the entry point for the resin.

As for a resin, I would go with a polyurethane. They are durable, but can be flexible when cast in thin spots. The Alumilite Amazing casting resin would be my choice here. https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/products/alumilite-amazing-casting-resin-16-oz-opaque-white

Perhaps an easier way for you to create unique tatting shuttles would be to buy ‘plain’ ones, then decorate the domed sides with your flowers and other items. Then use a doming resin to give it a glossy finish. The Resin Obsession crystal doming resin would work great for a project like this. You can buy it in our store here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/resin-obsession-crystal-doming-resin

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Tatting shuttle’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube