Temporary resin edging?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Kara

Hello, I have never used resin before but am very crafty and ready to take on my first project. My goal is to do a beer bottle cap resin poker table rail (husbands birthday present) So basically its a separate piece that will be dropped into the table. When it does it will sit flush with the playing surface and the hand rest. The playing surface will be approx 1″ thick, I am going to use 1/4″ plywood as the base for the rail, add the bottle caps and resin so that it meets height of the playing surface…so approx 3/4″ of resin.

Now that you know the backstory, my question is I need a temporary edging to hold the resin in. But since I have never used resin, I don’t know how tacky it is. Will it permanently bond with my edging? Will I be able to remove edging. Can I sand down any imperfections along the edge so it can drop in properly (if needed)? What would be the best material for this? Wood? Plastic? I even saw a post where someone used duct tape as an edge…but I wasn’t sure if that would be the best option. I hate to have to pull out a million staples if I used wood or plastic, I’m thinking that in order to create a bond that wont leak I would need a ton! So the tape sounds like a nice easy option, I just don’t know enough about resin to know if that is the ‘best’. If not duct tape maybe a different tape?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
      Kara

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Use a couple of layers of a good quality masking tape or clear packing tape around the edge of the table. You might see a frostiness when you pull off the tape after the resin has cured, but you can either brush on a layer of resin on that edge (know that it will drip a bit so plan accordingly) or apply a couple of light layers of resin gloss sealer spray on the edges. You can find it in our shop here: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/castin-craft-gloss-resin-sealer-spray

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Temporary resin edging?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube