To glue first or not to glue first?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Allison Butler

Hi, I make seaglass & shell and resin wall art (seaglass & shells glued onto either glass or perspex sheets and covered with resin). When I started, I was glueing the seaglass onto the glass / perspex first, leaving it to dry and then coating it with resin. I use E600 glue and Evirotex Lite Pour On resin (I wanted my peices to be well bonded and secure) My question is two-fold, for the times when I can quickly add the seaglass before the resin starts to harden, could I forgo the glue and just use the resin to bond everything? And for those times when I’m using smaller inclusions that would move around in the resin, could I just use a modge podge type glue to hold everything in place for the resin pour? I’ve tried different, cheaper resins and had disasterous results, so I don’t want to scrimp on the resin, but am I wasting money on strong glue when the resin should do the same thing? Thanks.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

I like to glue first for a couple of reasons:

It keeps things from shifting, either up or sideways, when pouring the resin.

It can also help to keep air bubbles from underneath pieces. i.e. if you have a good bond on the back, hopefully, you won’t have an air bubble that will come out later when the resin is trying to cure.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘To glue first or not to glue first?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube