Trying to make a clean-cut colour edge in resin…

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Emma

Hi there

I’m trying to recreate (in resin) some drawer pulls that I found. The originals are made of bone and are black with carved white detailing (in a sort of modern geometric pattern).

I have considered “painting” a small amount of black resin into the grooves of my mould before pouring white resin in… I have considered casting the full thing in white and then “painting” a black layer of resin on top before carving the details out… I’ve also considered painting the white item with black acrylic or vice-versa.

Any ideas if any of the above would work to get a clean, defined coloured detail on the finished piece. And if so, which do you think would be the easiest and most effective/ attractive? If none will work, any ideas how I can get a clean, defined colour delineation on the piece? I’d love to share a pic as I don’t think the above explanation is very clear 🙂

Thanks so much!

Em

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Emma,

If I were to attempt this, I would cast the knobs, then paint in the details after carving.

Have you considered carving and casting an original, then making a mold from that? May not be a big deal, but if you want all your knobs to look close to the same, it might be something to consider.

Emma

Hi Katherine

Thanks for the response! I purchased one original drawer pull to cast from so I won’t need to carve… unless I need to do that to get the colour definition.

So you think it’s best to cast & then paint the pulls? What paint would you consider using?

Thanks so much again!

Em

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

I would use an acrylic paint. While it is wet, I would ‘buff’ it with a soft cloth if you are trying to get a distressed look. While sanding after it has dried would do the same thing, it will also sand off the resin.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Trying to make a clean-cut colour edge in resin…’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube