Use resin to form geode in crater of fired clay

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Caroline Carey

I’ve been using colored clay slips and glass frit to create the look of a geode in my clay pieces. It comes out ok, but I really want the geode portion to look more realistic. I think several layers of translucent colored resins both with and without frit mixed in would do that. I’ve read and watched a lot of resin videos so I have a much better idea of what is out there but…can’t figure out which one to use. I need one that is:

Clear so I can add colorants or leave clear
      Dries fairly quickly as I’m moving my clay piece around to coat the interior so I’m not there 8 hours for each layer
      If I add glass frit, will it show any sparkle because it is mixed in resin?
      I’m thinking of Resin Obsession Super Clear Resin…doesn’t set super slow and is clear..any thoughts?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Caroline,

It sounds like you’ve done your homework. Good job!

Based on what you’ve shared here, I’m not sure Resin Obsession super clear resin will work for what you want to do. It hits gel time about 45 minutes after mixing. After that, it won’t shift and move anymore, but the problem here is that it mixes thin (like water). I don’t know that it will leave an even coating on the inside of your geode. Using a doming resin like the Resin Obsession crystal doming resin will coat more evenly, but will also pool at the bottom of your geode if it isn’t turning while the resin is curing.

Do you have an option to keep your geode moving? While the crystal doming resin cures more slowly, there are some things you can do to speed up resin curing: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/what-is-the-fastest-way-to-cure-epoxy-resin-speed-up-resin-curing/

Caroline

Thanks for the information Kathrine and the article. My only way of making sure the resin doesn’t pool is to keep it moving. I have a banding wheel (similar to a lazy susan). I thought that I would wait about 15 minutes after combining the two liquids and color so it would set up a bit. Poor the resin into the cavity, tilt it, secure it and then slowly rotate the wheel. If I use the heat gun while I’m rotating it to help it set, would that help? From the description of the super clear resin, I expect it would take another 15 minutes to set? Also, I don’t mind if the different layers are even. Or would the crystal doming resin still be a better idea?

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hmm. You have me thinking!

The super clear resin has the advantage in that it will cure faster and you will have to ‘babysit’ it less. If you are okay with keeping your clay geode moving for an hour (hopefully it will take less), then I think the super clear resin is worth a try.

If you give this a go, can you let me know how it goes for you?

Caroline Carey

Hi again Katherine,
      Will definitely let you know if this works!Do you think it will take an hour for each different colored layer I pour and spin to set enough to pour the next layer?I don’t mind if one color oozes (right word?) into the previous layer. I’m just about to order the resin and a couple of colors to experiment. Also need the plastic pour cups and stir sticks. Was watching the video on cleaning out the pour cups and it says not to wait until the resin is set in the cups or it won’t come out. I really like that they are reusable so I hope with me waiting to pour till just before it sets I will still be able to clean them? Thanks again for your help,
      Caroline

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Caroline,

You will need to wait at least 30 minutes to pour the next layer of resin. I would expect you to notice that as you spin the resin, it quits moving. That’s when I would pour my next layer.

If you don’t clean the cups right away, let the resin fully cure. You can then flex the cup and pull out the resin skin.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Use resin to form geode in crater of fired clay’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube