Using resin in a crystal installation in a bathroom

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      jen

Im building an installation for a client for their bathroom. I was hoping to use resin to set the crystals in because it allows more creative freedom in their placement. However- not having worked with resin so much I’m concerned at how it will handle heat and moisture in the air over time? Will it yellow? Break down? Any advice is much appreciated. I will also not that this installation will be back light so there will be constant heat. Thanks in advance!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Jen,

What a neat project! Could you tell me a little more about how are you going to use the resin? Like are you casting into a mold or will you be coating a backsplash of sorts?

Unfortunately, all resins are going to yellow over time. Resins with UV inhibitors and stabilizers help extend the time before yellowing occurs. However, things such as mixing off ratio (even though it still can cure without tackiness), putting over an improperly cured lacquer, excessive heat, and or constant exposure to sunlight can speed up the yellowing process. How long the epoxy will last in its clear state is very difficult to predict.

Some resins will also get soft when exposed to constant heat. I would be concerned about any area close to a light bulb. As long as it is fully cured, I would not expect bathroom moisture to cause it to get sticky, but I don’t know if it would warp if exposed to constant warm moisture.

jen

oo thank you! I have a couple options of how to execute this project depending on if I used resin,clay, or wire wrapping. But i was hoping to weld a frame that can support the weight of the crystals and build on it from there. if i used the resin, i assume i could frame it like a trough, lay out the crystals and then pour the resin. Thank you for all your feedback on how resin would do in these conditions. It definitely deters me from using it being that this will be a costly and fixed piece in their bathroom. I know clay has its downsides as well so maybe wire wrapping each individual crystal is the way to go.

Katherine Swift
          Keymaster

Were you hoping to pour resin over the crystals as well? If so, they won’t sparkle as much either.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Using resin in a crystal installation in a bathroom’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube