Vinyl Repels Resin

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anna

I am working on a sculpture made out of vinyl, it’s an uneven surface, as it is 3-dimensional so I brush on a doming resin and noticed that certain areas are repelling the resin and some areas are adhering to it just fine. The first time around I forgot to wipe down the surface with alcohol so I let the first coat cure and then I cleaned it off with some isopropyl alcohol. That helped a little but still experiencing some areas in which the resin is still not sticking. I’ve only done one other project before with this material and did not experience this issue. The only thing I remember doing differently was that my first piece I had spray painted black, whereas this one I am having trouble with was just bare, untreated vinyl. Is it possible that the coat of spray paint was giving the vinyl a little more tooth to adhere to the vinyl? I am trying to find a solution that doesn’t involve sanding, as this would ruin the vinyl (it’s a fabric). I’m wondering if maybe some type of spray primer, or clear spray “paint” would resolve this, and if so, do you have any recommendations for a product that would be good for this project without ruining the color, clarity, or texture of the vinyl?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give!!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Anna,

Try using a primer on the vinyl first. The resin should then stick to the primer.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Vinyl Repels Resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube