Want to recreate tortoise shell in resin

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Libby Fox.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Yolanda:

It’s my first time trying to make faux tortoise shell purse handles.
      Any advice as to where I should start?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Yolanda,

Creating the colors will be the easy part. We have several black pigments in our store to get the black. You can create the amber part by using a combination of amber/yellow/orange transparent colors. https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/colorants/Liquid This article should give you some ideas on how to create the exact color: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-resin-resin/how-to-mix-colors

Creating the tortoise shell look is going to be a bit more challenging. If I were to try, I would pour the two colors of resin into my mold when they are at the very end of the pot time. This will minimize the amount of mixing they do together and will hopefully give you two distinct colors. If you are working with a mold where you won’t see the back of your project (like charms), you can paint black fingernail polish into your mold and let dry. Pour the brown/amber resin behind it and you will have hopefully created tortoise shell.

Good luck!

YOLONDA

Last question do you have several round 9 inch molds available to purchase?
      If not, got any suggestions?
      Thanks!

Libby Fox

Hi there,

First of all – I love all of your handy tips, tricks and tutorials! I only started on my ‘resin journey’ a few weeks ago and I have to say your site has been very helpful to me – so, thank you!

Secondly, I have been searching far and wide for a tutorial on how to make multi-coloured tortoise shell dangle earrings and I am really struggling to find any guidance. I see a few people have posted questions with regards to the standard brown/black tortoise shell design on here, but I am really interested by the red/white/blue/black etc. speckled earrings I keep on seeing on the market. What would you suggest I do to achieve this look?

Thanks so much!
      Libby

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Want to recreate tortoise shell in resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube