Waterproof sealant?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Peggy

Hi everyone,
      I make soap dishes out of resin and small river pebbles. The pebbles stick partly out of the resin and the soap rests on top. Occasionally, the soap dishes will become somewhat soft/flexible over time which means the pebbles can fall out. I believe that moisture is creeping in through very tiny spaces where the resin and stones meet. I was thinking a waterproofing sealant could prevent this. Any thoughts about which product might work–or feedback in general? I need something that has a matte finish or can be applied thinly since a thick glossy coat would make the soap slip off.
      Many thanks!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Have you thought about brushing another layer of resin over the top? I’m thinking the water is leaking through the stones sticking out of the top, so if you could seal the stones, you might be okay.

Peggy

Hi Katherine,
      Yes, I have thought of this (but haven’t yet tried). My concern is that I don’t want the stones to be slick with a glossy resin layer because it might make the soap slide off. I was wondering if a spray sealant might work because I could get a thinner layer.
      Peggy

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

I think a spray sealant will make them glossy and slick. Have you looked at grout sealants?

Peggy

I haven’t thought of a grout sealant. That could work. Let me know, please, if there’s one you recommend. Thanks!

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Unfortunately I don’t work with them enough to make a recommendation, but I’m guessing someone at the home improvement store could help?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Waterproof sealant?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube