What type of resin for a big project?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Linda

I am going to make my son some coasters and a bar tray with beer bottle caps.  I have molds and instructions for the coasters.  The tray idea came from pinterest.  They used Acrylic water that you find in the floral dept.  But, a lot of the posts said it didnt dry hard or was sticky.  I wondered if resin would work better and which type to use?  It is a large tray that will hold 160 bottle caps.  I did make sure I got a tray that wont leak.  I would appreciate any input.  Ive spent money to get all the supplies together and I dont want to screw it up.

Katherine Swift

Linda,

Just so Im clear here, you have a tray, you’re going to put bottle caps in it, and you want to seal it with resin?  Assuming that is the case, I would probably go with the Alumilite Amazing Clear cast.  It’s a doming resin and will do great for a project like this. You can find it in several sizes in our store here:

https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin/alumilite

Linda

Thanks Katherine,
      Will this work for a thick layer to cover the bottle caps and have a smooth surface?  If not, maybe I can just use it to anchor them in.  But, ultimately I would like to cover completely and have a smooth surface so it can be used as a serving tray.  Would it maybe work if I do it in layers and let them cure in between?  Ive never worked with any kind of resin before.  I think Ill try out the coasters first.

Katherine Swift

Linda,

Yes, multiple layers will work fine.  You would probably have to do so anyway because I would be concerned about mixing up enough resin at once to cover the entire tray.  (getting out bubbles and such before it starts to cure)

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘What type of resin for a big project?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube