Why are my casting projects cloudy?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

This question comes through email by Matt:

I was
      wondering if you could help me out with a problem I have been having with this
      brand of casting resin. (CastinCraft). I believe the problem may be expired
      resin but figure you would know much more about it than me.

I have been
      making casts using CastinCraft polyester resin for a few years now. They have
      come out crystal clear each time. Now, I am having all my casts come out very
      hazy. I usually sand and polish my casts to a high shine. (looks like glass).
      No amount of sanding is fixing this issue. I have tried adjusting the catalyst
      amount, the temperature, and the humidity. The last two cans of this resin has
      produced cloudy casts no matter what I try to do. I looked on the bottom of the
      cans and it looks like there is a data (7/9/10) Im guessing this was made July
      9, 2010. Both have this. Could this resin be past its expiration and causing
      cloudy casts? If so, do you sell resin that you know to be fresh? 

Katherine Swift

Hi Matt!

You hit the nail on the head with one potential issue:  the expiration date of the resin.  Resin of all kinds hates moisture.  I make it a personal rule to only buy resin in size containers that can be used within 3 months.  As long as the resin has been store properly (in a climate controlled environment) it should be okay. 

The Resin Obsession Super Clear resin is made in small batches as to avoid this problem with customers. 

What kind of mold are you casting your resin into?  I wonder if there something going on there as well.  Have you tried a different resin in the same molds?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

We have several troubleshooting articles as well that can help pinpoint why your resin castings are cloudy:
      https://www.resinobsession.com/tag/troubleshooting/

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Why are my casting projects cloudy?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube