Casting sand and seashells in resin

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

This question comes from Mark:

We have various size glass jars that we have beach sand in the bottom and various seashells placed on top of the sand. We want to fill the jar with a clear resin (or tinted a color) to the top so that all shells and sand are set and won’t move. Thank you for your time.

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Mark,

I would suggest doing this project in two layers. Do the first one so that the resin just covers the top of the sand. The sand will sink to the bottom. Any bubbles that are trapped will have less distance to travel to get to the surface to pop. Once the resin has (at least partially) cured, you can pour the next layer. If you pour the second layer while the first layer is still in the gel phase, you will minimize the line between layers.

You might already be aware of this, but so you know, the sand will darken when casting because it’s wet. (Like it does when it’s wet at the beach) You can see what I’m talking about in this article: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-tutorials/seashell-resin-jewelry-and-magnets

Good luck!

Mark Williams

Thanks. What products would be recommended for this? These are not small jars…they can hold up to 1/2 gallon of liquid. I know that some products arent made to fill that much volume and I am also looking for something that is UV resistant. Would I be better off looking at an Acrylic material?

Thanks,

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately, it’s a little complicated from here. The resin I recommend for this project (Resin Obsession super clear resin) should not be mixed more than 3 ounces at a time (it will take you awhile to fill the jar), but it will mix bubble free and be ideal for your project. We sell other resins that can be mixed in larger volumes, but mix thick, so it will be quite difficult, if not impossible, to get all the bubbles out before your resin starts to cure. There is a PDF article on this page that details the resin we sell: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/resin-casting It may give you more insight or ideas on which resin you are willing to take on for this project.

I haven’t tried casting with an acrylic material so I don’t have any experience to share with you there.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Casting sand and seashells in resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube