Double mixing resin

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Dani

I hope I’m posting this under the right topic.
      Why do resin instructions say to mix in one cup, then pour in a second cup and mix again?
      Is that entirely necessary? It wasn’t with a previous resin I had, but I tossed it because I had it forever and one bottle was turning yellow. Then I bought a different brand because it came in smaller quantities.
      Also, what is the smallest quantity anyone has mixed and turned out well?

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Dani,

Some manufacturers recommend the mixing in two cups because many people won’t do a thorough job mixing. They don’t scrape the sides of their cup well, but will scrape this resin out at the end to go into their mold, bezel, etc. This resin is minimally mixed, so it will cure sticky if at all. The way to avoid this is to pour the mixed resin in a second cup where it is less likely you will have unmixed resin on the side of your cup.

As for the smallest quantity of resin you can mix, that’s a great question! It actually varies from resin to resin. The specific manufacturer should be able to tell you this. For the resins we sell on Resin Obsession ( https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/resin ), you can find it in the PDF on this page: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/resin-casting

Dani

Ok thank you, that makes sense. I always thoroughly mix mine so seemed overkill to dirty a second container. I experimented and actually got good results from mixing about 1/8 teaspoon amounts of the envirotex jewelry resin I’m currently using. I don’t make a lot of resin stuff yet, so have only tried 2 different resins, like both, but went back to the one cause it comes in smaller quantities.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Double mixing resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube