Flood coat

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Len Kern

If I understand correctly, the resin calculator suggests using .07 for a depth of 1/8″ .
      How can that be?
      1/8″ is .125″

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Len,

You are very observant! You can use 0.125 for the depth if you are going to tape off the sides to keep resin from running over the edge. Otherwise, it’s been my experience that using 0.07 gives you plenty of resin to coat the surface without wasting much running over the side. It will level less than 1/8 inch deep, but you will get a nice finish.

I used the 0.07 inch depth calculations to do this mother’s day collage board project: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-tutorials/mothers-day-diy-gift-idea/

Len Kern

Thanks.
      I’m looking to add to a surface that is 37.5″ x 47″ and already has an epoxy flood coat. I’d like to get it a bit more level than it is. It’s in a form.
      1) I’m thinking I can get it done with somewhat less than a gallon. Perhaps a half gallon after mixing. What quantities can I get from your store and what’s the price point?
      2) Might there be an epoxy incompatibility problem?
      3) Will I need to “scuff up” the surface and if so, what grit sandpaper do you recommend and how would I know what’s enough?
      4) Anything else I need to know?

Thanks, hope you can help.

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Hi Len,

When you say ‘more level’, what’s going on? Is it a case where you have voids (like fish eyes) or where the resin ran off one side of the table so it’s a little thicker on one side? That will best help me with how to direct you next and answer your other questions.

Len Kern

Katherine,
      I hope you don’t mind if I use your first name in my comments.
      I was trying to not burden you or any reader with a full description so I’ll try to be brief.
      I glued slices of what I think are attractively grained wood onto plywood,
      filled the spaces between with black-dyed epoxy to make the grain stand out,
      applied oil stain and 3 coats of oil polyurethane,
      then poured a clear flood coat of the remaining epoxy(around 1/2 gallon) over the surface.
      The surface before the flood coat wasn’t the same thickness across the entire piece because of the different thicknesses of the wood slices.
      So now I’m looking to possibly add another layer of epoxy to completely level the piece and fill a few natural cracks in the wood.
      If there was a way to send you a picture I would.
      Katherine, thanks for spending the time with me on this.
      Len

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Flood coat’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube