Getting rid of a blemish in the resin

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Katherine Swift

This question comes through email by M:

Hello! Ive coated a very large painting 48 x 48 inches with resin and there is one piece of lint. is it possible to somehow remove or sand the lint out of the piece? Im trying to avoid re-coating the entire thing with another coat of resin. Any advice would be so appreciated.
      thank you!

Katherine Swift

Hi M,

The theoretical answer is yes, but there are a couple of potential problems.

While you will be able to sand out the lint, you’re no longer going to have an even surface.  Even using subsequent grits of sandpaper to achieve a final glossy shine, I would expect you’re going to have a noticeable dent on your glossy surface.  You can try adding resin to just part of the painting, but I have found it’s going to be difficult to get it even with the resin you have already poured.

If you wanted to try sanding first, I would suggest sanding as small an area as possible, then trying something like our Novus polishing kit https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/novus-resin-polishing-kit to shine up that one spot.  It won’t look as shiny as a coat of resin, but depending on how close someone is going to be to the art, they may not notice.

If that doesn’t work after sanding, then I’m afraid another coat of resin is the only way to go.

Good luck!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Getting rid of a blemish in the resin’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube