Help embedding a spider!

Resin jewelry making resin art supplies Forums How Can I…? Help embedding a spider!

This topic contains 20 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Katherine Swift 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Kara

I have a black widow that I found in my backyard last night soaking in alcohol to preserve it. Im wanting to put it into resin so I can make it into a pendant. Any ideas on how I would go about getting it from the alcohol into resin?!?!

Thanks!
    Kara

• #833 Reply

Kara

I never thought about dipping the spider first & then embedding! See, thats why I had to pick someone elses brain! 🙂 Its going to be a multi-step process & a learning experience to get this done!! Ill keep you posted on how it goes!

Thanks~
    Kara

• #832 Reply

Katherine Swift

Kara,

Assuming the alcohol has preserved your spider (I dont know much about preserving arachnids, insects, and the like), my next suggestion would be to let it dry for a couple of days.  (It probably wouldnt take that long with alcohol, but I would want to be absolutely sure there is no alcohol that could get mixed in with the resin).

I would then very carefully dip my spider into the resin and allow to dry.  Thats going to be the tricky part as you will need to set her on something that allows her to keep her shape in addition to not destroying her when you go to get her after she cures.  My suggestion would be to set her on a silicone mold of some sort as you can just bend the mold to get her loose.  If you dont have one, then my next suggestion would be a piece of wax paper (resin peels away from wax paper).  Shes going to pool resin, so be prepared to trim off any extra after she cures.

This resin dipped spider is now going to be much easier for you to include in a future project.

• #834 Reply

Angie

Kara!  Did you embed your Black Widow yet, & if so how did it turn out?!
    I actually have captured a Black Widow as well & Im going through the same trouble.  Please let me know how it turned out for you & how you did it.  Thank-you. 🙂

• #835 Reply

Patricia

Im afraid if I let the Black Widow Spider "dry out", the body (Im afraid) will shrivel up to look like a raisin?..how would I be able to get around that problem?  Any info I can get on that, I would appreciate it!    thanks,    Pat

• #836 Reply

Katherine Swift

@Pat,

I have heard that preserving them in alcohol first works well. 

• #8784 Reply

Rick

I have recently taken up making paper weights by encasing dead scorpions in resin with good results so far. Alchohol works great to clean them and it only takes a few hours for them to dry. I fill the mold halfway then set them in (upside down since the mold is upside down). Then I let it set up for about an hour and a half before pouring the rest of the resin in. The reason for this is because the light weight arachnid will float to the top while the resin is setting. This way the specimen winds up floating in the center when everything drys completely

• #8785 Reply

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Great idea Rick! It’s how you can make them look like they are floating.

• #11368 Reply

Stacy Young

Hi Rick,

Have you had any issues with a spider “cooking” while you wait for the resin to dry? My spiders start to emit an oil or the contents of their body as soon as the resin starts to heat up.

I have ruined many spiders and cannot figure out how to do it.

• #11372 Reply

Katherine Swift
        Keymaster

Have not heard that before. Weird!

Are you preserving them in alcohol first? Maybe the alcohol would remove the oils before you place them in resin.

• #11367 Reply

Stacy Young

How can I keep a spider from “cooking” in the resin while it sets up?

• #11373 Reply

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

The resin is going to heat up, so I don’t know that there is a good way to keep it from ‘cooking’. Maybe try soaking the spider in alcohol to remove the oils first? You might also try dipping the spider in resin and allowing it to cure on wax paper. Peel off once cured. Maybe the thin layer of resin will insulate it when you put it in a larger casting.

• #14754 Reply

Madison

I’m working on the same project as well. I did a practice run and I had put the black widows (preserved in alcohol) right into a silicone mold and did a two part pour. HOWEVER, it has now been a week or two and the spiders are rotting from the inside. So their cool abdomen is totally deflated and only a sheer exoskeleton is left. This is goin to be a wedding gift so I need to fix this quick before I make the actual gift. I was thinking of trying to dry them out or maybe spray them with a mod podge sealer? Has anyone tried this or has any other advice?!? Please let me know!

• #14971 Reply

lexi

maybe they need to have their organs removed first. i know when tarantulas and large bodied insects are pinned they often cut open the abdomen, remove the juicy stuff, then fill with cotton or something. though it would be difficult on a smaller specimen like a black widow.

• #15171 Reply

Tiffany Little

I put mine in the freezer first.
    1. Catch live or find dead black widow
    2. Place her in the freezer for at least 1 hour to verify that she’s dead.
    3. Fill a silicone mold 1/2 way with epoxy
    4. Place your widow in the epoxy and arrange her legs while the epoxy is setting.
    5. Once the epoxy sets fill the remainder of the mold with epoxy.
    6. Wait 12 hours and remove from mold.

• #15191 Reply

Dylan

Do the bodies not shrink or shrivel after they’ve been imbeded? I’m trying to find a good way to do these. I’ve heard you soack them in alcholol first and not to. Do you have any pictures of the final product? Thanks!

• #16211 Reply

Baerry

I freeze the insect in a covered container. Then place it on a wet tissue in closed container. Keep checking that tissue does not dry out. I leave it for a couple of days. You will find that it is quite easy to display the animal and move the legs etc.,.
    Use a plastic container and half fill with resin then place insect in.
    Make sure that the insect is put in the right way so it is not upside down in the finished mould.
    Make sure you have not missed mixing the hardener in the resin.
    You can also mix a few drops of food colouring in the resin mixture to enhance the finished mould.

• #16376 Reply

Ike

I have cast probably 40 spiders. here in south Florida we have an abundance of brown widows I have a black widow hourglass themed motorcycle. Once you have caught her they will stay alive several days a couple air holes and a drop of water. Prep mold thin layer of resin let dry. Put spider in freezer for an hour you don’t want it to freeze hard will split open if you a cooking it you are using too much hardner the resin will set without hardner just takes forever just use a couple of drops. Pore another thin layer then set your unfrozen spider in the position you want her. The hard part is the abdomen has fine hairs that want to trap air around her. She will start to decay and the hourglass will fade to where you can’t see it. I have found a really nice big one that I am going to catch in the next couple of days have to get some more resin first. I am going to try using some oil on a cotton swab and wipe her down first. I will let you know how that works

• #42619 Reply

Loretta

Encased insects are beautiful but please think about the time you are freezing them for before placing them in resin. A spider who has spent 1 hour in the freezer will only be in hibernation. The best practise, to be sure this is done humanely, is to.leave them in the freezer over night and then submerge in alcohol. Only this way can you be sure they are dead. Even freezing over night only assures hibernation, not death, so the alcohol step is important. Good luck and I would love to see some of the finished results!

• #48221 Reply

Zak

Hey! I have wanted to try a similar project. What kind of resin is everyone using?

Reply To: Help embedding a spider!
Your information: