Help! This never happened before!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Steve

So I’m new to resin but I’ve been making pieces for about month now, typically trays in silicone molds. I’ve made about 40 trays thus far, and they all came out absolutely perfect. I was able to add different mica powders and blend them together and the finished product was absolutely flawless.

Yesterday I attempted to make a tray mixing all my different blue powders, and I once I poured into the tray I noticed bubbling.Heating the area did not help. But It wasn’t the small bubbles that I pop with the heat gun, these looked like they were forming underneath, they were larger, and they rose quickly to the top and grouped together. It also left a weird looking texture on the top of the tray, almost like snakeskin-esque if I had to guess. I reattempted the tray 3 times and it happened all 3 times.

I thought perhaps the issue was my resin, so I opened up a new batch of resin and hardener and the same exact thing happened.

My questions:
      Does anyone know what this is and why it’s happening??
      Can resin go bad?
      Can mica powders go bad?

Any help would be appreciated!!

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Steve,

I’m sorry this is happening to you. Bubbles in resin are so aggravating!

This article will give you some ideas on what could be going on and what you can do differently: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-frequently-asked-questions/resin-bubbles/

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The topic ‘Help! This never happened before!’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube