Incorporating polymer clay and resin?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Nicole

So I have in the past, used polymer clay and resin before! With awesome results. But this project I’m a little unsure of! I have a custom order for a cell phone holder…. with a “under the sea/coral reef” theme. And for the back “support” piece that the cell phone will kind of lean on, I wanted to do a frame of polymer clay, with a sort of “resin aquarium” in the middle…. I made a thick frame of clay but I am not sure what to do now… if I should bake the frame and them place packing tape on the back and pout the resin into the center onto the packing tape backing…. kind of like a cameo. Or should I place the unbaked clay frame onto a silicone surface and kind of stick the clay down to the surface and then pour the resin then bake the piece at a very low temp? But then how to attach it to the base…. I was thinking of attaching the frame to the back of the base and baking the whole clay piece THEN pouring the resin. But how would I seal off the inside of the frame…. ANY tips or help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks so much!!! -Nicole

Katherine Swift
      Keymaster

Hi Nicole,

First let me say, I have no experience with polymer clay. That being said, if I had to do this project, I would only work with baked clay and do the resin separately. i.e. I would not bake clay and resin together. That’s the way I handled resin and epoxy clay and I was happy with the results. You can see an example here: https://www.resinobsession.com/resin-tutorials/resin-frame-tutorial I’m hoping someone with some clay expertise can comment as well.

Nicole

Hi! Thanks so much for the response !! I wanted to let everyone know the results of my project ๐Ÿ™‚ I actually ended up rolling out a decently thick slab of clay and placing it “behind” the frame, on the back of the piece I made sure the sides were blended together and cooked the clay piece and then was able to pour the resin layer into the “frame”/back piece and it turned out great!!! Wish I could share a photo of it, but the customer who ordered was super happy with it ๐Ÿ™‚ the resin/”underwater” looking layer with the cute fish stickers I used really added a great effect to the “under the sea” theme ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Incorporating polymer clay and resin?’ is closed to new replies.
Subscribe to blog updates
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Pinterest
Follow on Instagram
Follow on Youtube
Follow on Youtube